Sunday, April 19, 2009

Creamy Spinach Mushroom Skillet Enchiladas



Attention. Please stop what you're doing and make this NOW. It's that delicious. It was fast and pretty easy and just plain scrumptious. If you love Tex-Mex flavors, the green sauce is perfect. If not, the green sauce is still perfect. Well I guess it depends on the kind you buy. The kind I got was local, but I'm sure you can find an awesome green sauce for when you make it. Because you are going to make it. Right?

My only substitution was Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese wedges instead of the cream cheese. Pretty much the same thing. I just didn't want a whole brick of cream cheese laying around when I can eat the Laughing Cow on other things. I suppose I could with cream cheese, but I wouldn't. It would just go to waste.

Really though, please make this! It's vegetarian and only 5 Weight Watchers Points per serving, including the sour cream. It's very adaptable. I'm already dreaming up new veggie/salsa combinations for when I make it next. And if you're not veggie, well...add some cooked shredded chicken to the filling. Or some shrimp. Or...

Recipe is from Cooking Light (via myrecipes.com):

Creamy Spinach Mushroom Skillet Enchiladas

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light cream cheese with onions and chives
1 (16-ounce) bottle green salsa, divided
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
Cilantro sprigs (optional)


Preheat broiler.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add spinach and salt; cook for 1 minute or until spinach wilts, stirring frequently. Drain; return mushroom mixture to pan. Add cream cheese; cook 2 minutes or until cream cheese melts, stirring frequently. Place the mushroom mixture in a bowl; set aside.

Heat 1 cup salsa in a saucepan over low heat. Dredge both sides of each tortilla in warm salsa using tongs, and stack the tortillas on a plate. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon mushroom mixture into center of each tortilla; fold in half, and arrange in skillet, overlapping slightly. Top with remaining salsa, and sprinkle with cheese. Wrap handle of skillet with foil, and broil enchiladas for 4 minutes or until the cheese melts. Top with sour cream, and garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.


Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas and 1 tablespoon sour cream) @ 5 WW Points each

CALORIES 273 (29% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 2.9g,poly 1g); IRON 2.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; CALCIUM 330mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.4g; SODIUM 806mg; PROTEIN 10.1g; FIBER 6.7g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2001

6 comments:

  1. OH YUM! I will definitely make these! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Don't ya just love that Laughing Cow cheese?!?! How did I ever live without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love me some LC cheese. I put in on all kinds of things! Bagels, sandwiches, celery, pita chips, carrots....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tell me about the green sauce you used. We're in the same area so I'd like to score some of it since it looks so good. :)

    I'll be making these. Though I'm not a mushroom fan I think I'll try it in this. I love spinach enchiladas.
    Thanks for posting this! Yum! Now if we could ind some low point Spanish rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly! The green sauce is the Central Market brand. It's called Hatch Green Chile sauce or something like that. It's in a short round jar with a pepper on the front. I got it at HEB on the salsa aisle. It's just slightly spicy.

    Try it with different veggies if you don't like mushrooms and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! I'll stop by tomorrow and get the ingredients. This looks like something we would really like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Hatch brand green enchilada sauce is good and so is the Herdez salsa verde (it's with the regular salsa). I find that one's more widely available, but the taste is different cause it's tomatillo salsa and the Hatch is green chiles.

    ReplyDelete